BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, February 14, 2009

The six-word memoir.

As most of you know, Regan and I do not celebrate Valentine's Day.  We both feel it is a commercialized holiday-spending money on unnecessary things.


Every year, Regan has an anti-Valentine's Day party for his English classes.  He always reads the same short story, and the students analyze and discuss the story.  I expected him to continue with the tradition.

However, this year Regan was inspired by NPR-thanks to Ernest Hemingway, who was once asked to write a full story in six words.  He responded, "For Sale: baby shoes, never worn."

NPR aired a story title, "Six-Word Memoirs: Life Stories Distilled."  The story was brilliant, and the book Not Quite What I Was Planning has been fun to read.

SO THIS YEAR-Regan did something new.  His students wrote six-word memoirs for their anti-Valentine's Day party.  Of course in the spirit of this new discovery, Regan and I also wrote our six-word memoirs as well...for each other.

Three syllables that keep me breathing.     ~ Regan
Found love in him. Gained treasures.     ~Elanna

I don't think of this as celebrating "V-Day."  I think of this as celebrating the art of words.

Here are some of my favorite!

He's the cheese to my macaroni.   ~JUNO

Started,
small,
grew,
peaked,
shrunk,
vanished.
  ~George Saunders


I still make coffee for two.     ~Zak Nelson

Open road, no map.  Great Scenery.     ~Tom Gabbay

Girlfriend is pregnant, my husband said.     ~Shonna Mac Donald

I fell far from the tree.     ~Rebecca Stadolnik

1 comments:

Swirl Girl said...

I love these... I saw an article in Readers Digest about this very subject. You & Regans are the sweetest ones I have read! And kudos to him for the anti-valentine assignment in his class.... very creative. I am a little bit anti-valentine myself.